The dictionary lists "father" as a man who gives care and protection to someone or something, among other definitions. I read this and thought, "is that all? I've thought a lot about being a dad these past few days and weeks as the time to get our boys draws closer. To be frank with all of you blog readers, I'm nervous as heck! I usually play it cool and act like I've got it all together in life's situations, but this is a new one for me. It's scary to think that soon I will be the ANSWER to the question, who's your daddy?! How am I going to know what to do? How will I know how to comfort them when they cry? How will I know how much freedom to give them, either in their younger years or later in life?
Now, don't get me wrong, sometimes I feel like I a father to my band students, and that's a good thing. I care about them, and I care for them, and I do try to protect them. Some would even say I sound like a dad when I tell them to sit up, be nice to each other and things like that. I feel like I already have over 200 kids somedays.
I'm lucky and blessed to have a wonderful relationship with my own father. I look like him, have many of the same quirks, and our wives think we share the same sense of humor. We talk almost daily and so many people tell me, "wow, you're just like your Dad." To me, there's no higher compliment. I can't wait to hear someone say that about my boys. Although I'm pretty sure they won't say they look like me. :)
We are getting so very close to leaving and having our lives changed forever. Our house is ready for the boys. I even think our beagle Cassie is ready for her brothers.
Blake, I just love this post! Your going to be such and amazing father!
ReplyDeletePS You never know what's best and you never know the right answer that's why prayer is important and so is scripture. You will do great. Just go with the flow and ask WHAT WOULD JESUS DO:)
ReplyDelete