Saturday, January 16, 2010

An empty house and "the book"




The house is nearly ready for the boys. In an earlier post I talked about how much stuff we have been buying and getting in anticipation of the boys. There are two of everything pretty much but as I walk around the house now, everything feels empty. The cribs are empty, the bumbo seats are empty, the exer-saucers are empty, and the height chairs are empty. The house and I are ready for them to be used.  I want to meet them.  I want to bring them home.  I want to introduce them as my sons.   I've taken some pictures of the boys around the house we get an idea what it'll be like in just a few short weeks.

Those of you who know me well know I'm pretty much a process type of guy. Whenever we get anything knew, I must sit down and read the book before I mess with the item. I just like to know how things work before I open them up and start working with them. It disappoints me when these books are only available online. How can I put that in my drawer of manuals? I keep them all, from the book for my little weather station to the TV manual. They're all in one drawer. That leads me to this question, when do I get the manual for fatherhood? I need to read the book before the boys come. I suppose I will read the book of all books the Bible and know there are answers in there. However, I don't think it'll tell me how to change a diaper or make the boys stop crying.  So, if anyone has any suggestions for reading for me, I'll take them.  I'll talk to you again by blog before we leave.

4 comments:

  1. Blake, your going to be a great dad, most things will come natural for you, but for some good reading I suggest Doctor Dobsons book "bringing up boys" it will have you laughing and crying and at times it may have you a little scared =). I wish you and Julie the Lords blessing as you travel to bring your sweet children home, We can't wait to meet them, You know I'm only a phone call away from changing a dirty diaper or to help calm a crying baby. XOXO Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a learn as you go sort of thing! Don't worry...you can't screw them up and they won't remember anything until they are like 3 anyways! I know you and Julie will do just fine! We will be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to get the book What to Expect The First Year. It's a great book kind of like a manual. If it's "broken", it will give you tips on how to "fix it".

    I aslo came across this book:Approaching Fatherhood: A Guide for Adoptive Dads and Others.

    You will do fine. It all come naturally I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blake,

    The dad of my good high school buddy would always say, "You know- you kids don't come with instruction manuals." I thought it was a cop out. I've since learned the wisdom of those words, there is no one instruction manual that covers all the experiences you are in for. Find a few you like, check with friends and family that have been there before, make sure you're on the same page as Julie, and trust your gut.

    You'll do GREAT!

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete