Today I was struck by an article that I read about Addis Ababa - the city that I so recently fell in love with (because from there came our two adorable boys and a city full of people with life and vibrancy). The article was an interesting and sad piece about the state of sanitation in Addis Ababa. Nearly a quarter of all residents (aprox. 3 million people live in Addis) lack toilets. Now that is what I would call a need! That is not one of our "American" needs, but a real need. Click here to read the entire article about the sanitation and say a prayer that the basic needs of the people will be met in Addis.
As I read this article I thought about our time in Ethiopia and the beautiful place we stayed (Yeka Guest House). Our guest house sat just off a main road and when we entered the gated yard it looked like we were driving up towards a bed and breakfast (Ethiopian style of course). The grounds were immaculately cared for (they even had green grass - which is rare in the city), the building was newer, and the rooms were well cared for. As we looked around and enjoyed the beauty of what was about to become our "home" for our two weeks in ET we were impressed. However, it was midnight and time for bed. The next morning as we awoke to the roosters we again commented on how nice the place was....and then I looked out the window onto the tin roofs. As I stepped out on the balcony I looked directly below (everything is built very close together in the city) and saw the large cement fence with barbed wire on top. And right next to the fence...a neighborhood of houses...but not the houses we were used to seeing. The homes were literally one on top of the other, made from mud, sticks and some cement and most did not have electricity, running water, indoor cooking, and who knows what else. Here we were living the Ethiopian life of luxury while the people right below us lived in poverty. It was a hard site to see and made me appreciate our life here in the US even more. The pictures below are looking out from our balcony into the neighborhood. The second photo is of the woman who lived below us cooking injera and laying it out on the dirt to dry.
My prayer is that these photos remind you to be thankful for the blessings that we have in life. God is good and He will provide.
I just found your blog off of another ET adoption blog I follow. Congratulations on your twins! They are adorable and I have enjoyed watching them through your eyes. My husband and I also adopted twins (brother sister combo) from ET and they are nearly 11 months old. We brought them back last November, so we are quickly approaching the time to officially and legally adopt them. You have a precious family and an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteAmanda
Thanks Amanda. Do you have a blog? I would love to read more about your story and see your kids.
ReplyDeleteYes, Julie, I do have a blog! Send me your email address and I'll email you an access email. You can then set up your own username and password. Isn't it neat to see how many people have adopted from ET sharing our children? I just love your pictures and your stories! It comforts me in my hours of sleep deprevation and weak arms from carrying them at the same time. I'm sure you can identify with all that. Your kids are soooooo precious!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJulie,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post...I'm having a hard time putting words to what we experienced in Ethiopia and how that has changed how I look at life (and especially my NEEDS!) . Thank you so much for sharing this!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete