Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The trip home continued

I'm back now to finish the story of the journey home. So, we missed our 8:30 flight from Amsterdam to Detroit. We were both kind of bummed about it but we had known for some time that we probably wouldn't make the flight anyway. We immediately head to the KLM ticket counter to get rebooked on the 10:20 flight out. I was surprised there were two flights that close together in time. This day was the not the day to be traveling Delta/KLM/Northwest because it was the first day that Delta computers "took over" the other airline's systems. What a nightmare for the workers. This poor lady that was helping us was about ready to pull her hair out but, after 40 patient minutes, we were booked on the flight out at 10:20. And the best part was that we were seated in a bulkhead row which meant a bassinet for the boys, perhaps even two! It was already 9:30 by the time we left the KLM ticket booth so we just headed for Gate E7. There was a terribly long line again but we got to cut everybody yet again. I just love getting to cut! Missing the first flight, we feel, was truly meant to be because not only did we get better seats, we got to travel with our friends Nathan and Sarah from Colorado. They were also seated in row 10 with us. And, to make things even better, the airline did not place a person in the seat next to Julie. We had an empty seat to utilize for our stuff.

I'm feeling awfully at ease by this time and am ready for smooth, calm, uneventful flight to Detroit. Granted, we were going to get to Grand Rapids two hours later than expected and would have to get a hold of our families to tell them, but besides that, life was feeling pretty good. We were tired, but so thankful for our good fortune. However, this good fortune was about to take a turn. Little David boy decided, as we are headed for the runway to have another blow out poopy diaper! Again, this happens while I hold him but it's worse than before. It's starting to seep through his clothes and onto my jeans. I grab a burp cloth and place it under him to catch it. There is no running to the bathroom this time because we are taking off! He's screaming now and Julie is trying to keep him and me calm. The smell was terrible and I could just read the minds of those around us hoping we weren't going to have to suffer the 8 hour flight with this screaming baby.

We get up in the air, finally get David's diaper and clothes changed and calmed down, and are starting to relax. Julie and I each get a glass of wine to take the edge off a bit. It works. The boys fall asleep. We eat some lunch. I had the chicken. Julie had the pasta. We both comment on how good it tastes. We each take in a short nap as well. About halfway through the flight, little Thomas has a leaky diaper which means yet another outfit change. Julie takes care of it. When she gets back, I head to the restroom. On my way back to my seat, it hits me. All of a sudden, I'm in a cold sweat, feeling as though at any moment I could throw up. It's a terrible feeling and the only thing I can do is sit down, cover up, and try not to think about it. The boys are both awake but I can barely hold them. Thank God for our friends in our row. They help take care of the boys the rest of the flight while I'm basically incapacitated with this mystery illness. I make a few trips to the bathroom but never actually throw up. I'm downing pepto tablets and sprite trying to make myself feel better. It's not working and is actually making things worse. The last 2 hours of the flight are pretty much a blur to me as I was in and out of conscience thought. I don't know how I carried the bags off the plane to the customs desk but I did.

We enter the immigration lines with about 2 hours before our next flight is scheduled to take off. This is the slowest moving line since Ethiopia. We have a bunch of paperwork for the boys that has to be looked at and approved and I'm doing all I can to stay on my feet. I'm green at times, and white at others; a few more trips to the bathroom do not make me feel any better. It's the sickest I've been in a long time. I think it had to do with what I ate, although no body else who had the chicken was feeling it. We finally get through immigration and head to the gate for the Grand Rapids flight only to find it delayed an hour. Why? We don't know. It turned out to be weather related on a flight from Charlotte, NC. Anyway, I'm trying to stay awake and trying not to puke as Julie and Nathan and Sarah tend to the babies in the airport. I just want to get home!!

Nathan and Sarah's flight boards for Denver and we say good-bye. The boys are starting to feel the effects of the nearly 30 hours of travel and Julie is flying basically solo with them because I'm not getting any better. She gets their clothes changed and gets them ready for the flight, which is still delayed. I can barely handle carrying either boy, let alone the baggage. As if God heard Julie's prayer for help, and we both feel he did, he sent us this angel of a man named Dan to help. He came right up to us and said, "I can see you need help, and I'm going to help you get you, your boys, and your luggage on this plane." Turns out, he adopted a child from Kenya a few years ago. What a generous man! He had to check his bag a few flights back so he wasn't carrying anything at all. Ironic huh? No, it was God helping us get home.

Finally, we're on the plane to Grand Rapids. It's a short 30 minute flight and the boys are the celebrities of the plane. Seems like everybody knew who they were and where they had come from and kept telling us how cute they were. I was barely coherent for the flight. Next thing you know, we're landing and Dan carries everything but the babies off of the plane for us. We walk down the hall, past the security checkpoint, and we see the most beautiful sight...dozens of our family members and friends waiting there for us! It was so wonderful. There were big banners, posters, balloons and cheers. I got choked up. Julie got choked up. It was a great moment in our lives. Our new family, home at last. I'll be posting that video soon. It's short, but so wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for telling your story-so fun to read...oh, sorry you were so sick on the flight. Thank you for the picture of Erkinesh we got today...as you know they are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say thank you, too! We loved getting new pics of Sentayehu...such a gift!

    Blessings ~ Dardi

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a story. But a very happy ending. I can't even imagine how that must have been for the both of you. I'm glad your home safe and sound. It's great to know that the Lord is with you all the time helping you out and listening to your prayers.

    ReplyDelete