First, each boy has a mild ear infection in one ear. We took them to the doctor to the first time on Wednesday because they were just so congested and we wanted to get them checked out. They hate getting into the car seats, but once they're there they zonk out, even on short trips. David weighs 16.3 pounds and Thomas weighs in at 15.4. Carrying them both as many times as I have, I thought there was more of a difference in the two. We got a prescription for an anti-biotic which the boys take twice a day for 10 days. David doesn't mind taking it, and Thomas hates it, although his Aunt Melissa figured out that he takes it better if it's not so cold. Hopefully, the boys on the road to recovery from the ear issue.
Thursday was the day of the 5th grade and 6th grade band concert so I had to go to school for the rehearsals and then the concert at night. Unfortunately, this was also the day that Julie became sick with what we think, and the doctor thinks, is H1N1 flu. I know, can you believe it? I felt like such a bad husband and dad when I had to leave a very sick wife and 2 screaming babies at 7 am yesterday. Thank God for close friends and family who have really stepped up and helped us out yet again. Our neighbor Kathy has been such a blessing with treats and even doing our laundry for us! Aunt Melissa has been so sweet too to come over and play with the boys and help keep our house in order. Even my sister was willing to drive up from Kalamazoo to help if we needed someone. Both Julie and I aren't that good about asking for help in life, but we've found that with our great families and friends, all we need to do is ask, and they're right there with us.
It was bittersweet to go to school. I was sure excited to see my "other" kids and they had so many good questions about the boys and the trip. I miss them and school life. However, my heart and soul remained at home with my family. They needed me and I couldn't be there...I suppose there will be plenty of other times when my vocation takes me away at inopportune times. I just need to get over it. The rehearsals went great at school with the kids. I was so impressed in how they sounded and how organized and ready for the concert they were. Mr. Dixon, the assistant band director, has just done an outstanding job in my absence. I couldn't be more comfortable leaving the students in his hands for the next week and a half. At noon, I headed back home from school to help out and make sure things were alright. I couldn't wait to get home. I had some limited phone contact with Julie as she had gone to the doctor and then to rest. The boys were happy to see their daddy when I walked in the door! What a feeling that was. They were both doing better too and seemed happy. Julie was fighting her illness with rest and some antibiotics too. We both agreed that although she's miserable, H1N1 flu beats the intestinal flu hands down. At least she can eat and isn't throwing up. Now, she has trouble breathing so I guess that's not great either.
At 4:45 it was back in the car for the hour drive back to school for the concert. I enjoyed the quiet time in the car and didn't talk on the phone or turn on the radio at all. I just enjoyed the silence. I have a feeling there will be a lot of those types of drives in my future. The concert went off great! The kids were all so excited and there was practically a full house. They behaved like little ladies and gentlemen and the crowd appreciated their music. There was even a mention to the audience of the boys...and the blog. I wonder who did that??? :)
Last night was one of the better nights in terms of sleeping. Little Thomas boy slept all the way through from 8 pm to 4 am and David was up from 12 until 2. He had a bottle with me at 12 and then he and slept in the chair on and off until I put him back down at 2. Julie was able to sleep mostly through the night and not get up with either boy. God answered our prayers yet again for restful nights of sleep for Julie and the boys. When morning comes, our boys are up. There is no snuggling and putting them back to bed. They want to laugh and play and have their morning poopy diapers changed. Then it's chow time again with the bottle. They have cereal at dinner right now but otherwise it's just the bottle. They're both finally eating a lot and we're happy about that. We both think they've grown since we picked them up 2 weeks ago.
I have next week off from work as well. I hope and pray that we continue to settle in and the boys get on a routine, the same routine. Right now, one sleeps the other is awake. We need to get them to nap at the same time! Take care, talk to you soon.
Holly Cow Blake,
ReplyDeleteIf it could happen it's going to happen to you. I totally agree with the sitting in the quiet car thing. I use to do that all of the time.
Good luck and my prayers are with you!