My 1st Father's Day
I realize that Julie has kind of taken over the blog (that's a good thing) and that I haven't written anything in a very long time. It's not that I haven't had anything to say. Julie and her pictures just tell such a good story of our life with the boys I haven't felt I needed to add anything. That is, until my day came today, Father's Day, my first.
Back when we got home from Ethiopia, my mom gave me a little green book called, 1001 meanings of a Father or something like that. I don't remember the exact title and the book is actually on my desk at school so I can't look at it right now. I read a couple nearly everyday. It's categorized by age so I blasted through the first part since that was infant and when we got the boys they weren't really infants anymore. From reading this book, it got me thinking of my own definition or meaning of being a father. By the way, I've always been more of a Dad guy. In my mind, I suppose, I reserve father for our heavenly Father, and my Dad has always been, well, just Dad. The busters try and call me Dada and I refer to myself as Daddy when talking to them. (That is, unless, I'm quoting Star Wars and impersonating Darth Vader, "I'm your Father." It makes them laugh)
What being Daddy means to me is that there are two little guys that will always look at me and see Daddy. Other parents told me before you'll never experience love like that of a parent and you'll never understand how much your parents love you until you have your own. They are so right. I love those boys more than I ever thought I could love anyone. I want to protect them from every bad thing in this world. I want to make them laugh. It's the best sound in the world when your child laughs and smiles at you. I want to teach them all of my corny jokes and all of my useless trivia. Being a Dad to me means sharing and giving everything you have for your children. I loved my first Father's Day. I think I'll do it again next year. :)
So sweet! You are a great daddy and a great example to them of their Heavenly Father's character, commitment and love!
ReplyDeleteha, I actually get to use the whole quote, "Luke, I am your father!"
ReplyDelete