Sunday, January 30, 2011

Shanto, Ethiopia

January was an amazing month for mommy.  Daddy and the boys held down the fort while mommy was on a mission trip in Ethiopia.  For 12 days it was boy territory in Michigan while mommy was out trying to make a small difference in the world.  Thanks to Blake for supporting me on this amazing trip and the busters for being good for daddy while mommy was away.  I have tried to start a blog post about my time there, but there are still so many emotions and things to think about.  I am working on posting more about my trip, but will start with a few quick things and some photos.  1.) Life Changing.  If you think you have seen poverty going to a village of 8,000 people, two wells (only open one hour a day each), children in tattered and torn clothing, and basic needs of food and water unable to be met....then you have visited Shanto, Ethiopia and seen extreme poverty.  I am still trying to figure out why God allows this.  2.) Extreme poverty. And I ask, "why God?"  Then I am reminded in II Corinthians 8:2  that in the midst of extreme poverty there is overflowing joy. ( "In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.")  The people of Shanto live this very verse every day.  Although so many have nothing they are truly grateful for the little they have an openly share with others.  I think back to one of the days were were handing out pillowcase dresses and out of a crowd of over 1,000 women and children  we were only able to cloth 75 that day.  As we released the "75 lucky ones" the rest of the crowd broke out into cheers, clapping and dancing.  They didn't covet what their friend or neighbor had, but instead rejoiced in what someone else had been blessed with.  Talk about a true sight of Jesus right there in Shanto.  Isn't that what he calls each of us to do?  Do you rejoice in EVERYTHING someone else gets, even without wanting it for yourself?  3.) Seeing Jesus daily.  Every day I saw Jesus in the face of the people of Shanto.  They were selfless, gave wholeheartedly, experienced pure joy, lived each day thanking Him and sang His praises.  This is a region filled with poverty, yet that isn't what they focus on, instead they look for the bright side of each situation.  Heartbreaking doesn't begin to describe the emotions I had while in Shanto.   Here are a few photos of my time in Shanto....more to come.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the events, and your insights, about our time in Shanto. We only wish everyone could experience a visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I saw you in a picture with Team Tasfa! You did an amazing job with the video. I have wished to be with you all on that trip,maybe next time. I have also thought of you often in the past month because a year ago you met my sons and yours. You were the first person to share personal stories of my boy and I will be forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Julie. This processing is so hard. Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I am in tears. Your words were so amazing and the video brought them to life.

    We could all learn something from those people in the village!!!

    What an amazing journey. If we feel this way imagine how Jesus feels.

    Thank you so much for sharing such personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is overwhelming, isn't it? I just try to remember that the perspective I am viewing things with is the highest standard in all of human history. We live in the richest country and at a rich time. It is hard for us to imagine life any other way. I have been reading the Little House books to my boys. 150 years ago in Minnesota life was SO different. The Ingalls life didn't look much different than Ethiopia. Also, my mom reminded me that when she was a girl, in the 1930's, she only owned 1 pair of shoes and had 1 Sunday dress and 2 regular dresses. That was it! They grew their vegetables and food was precious. We have extreme wealth in 2011 and we need to share it! I hope that all makes sense. It is hard to process.

    ReplyDelete